JAMES DASHNER HYPE - What is The Maze Runner all about?

So Young Adult has been blowing up for years now - we all know this. I personally do enjoy a good YA read and have done for years. Besides the fact that they can get a little bit predictable, because they always seem to follow either this chain of events: 


boy meets girl --> love --> problem --> happy ending

OR in the paranormal romance ones, this chain of events:


"You are the only one who can save us (insert protagonists' name here) --> boy meets girl --> love --> problem --> happy ending

many of my favourite contemporary novels are YA novels and they do make for interesting reads. 

It pretty much started with Twilight (Stephanie Meyer) and unravelled to encompass all kinds of YA fiction. From The Spectacular Now (Tim Tharp) to Divergent (Veronica Roth) to The Perks of Being a Wallflower (Steven Chbosky) to The Fault in Our Stars (John Green) to Harry Potter (author's name is not in need of reference because she's so awesome that everyone everywhere of every age knows who she is) to City of Bones (Cassandra Clare) to The Hunger Games (Suzanne Collins) and the list goes on and on and on... 

But recently, all I have heard my sister talk about (besides Vampire Academy) is this series by James Dashner: The Maze Runner. She's always telling me how amazing it is and how much of a brilliant writer Dashner is and she talks a pretty convincing game, so I was drawn in. 

I never got around to buying the book even though I've been meaning to for months, but today she went to an advanced screening of the movie at some Twentieth Century Fox place and brought me back a copy of the book for free! You can read her non-spoiler review here if you're interested in finding out more about the film; which is set for UK release on October 10th 2014.

My free movie tie-in cover of the book!


So this is the book that I'm currently going to be reading and it will be my next full review. I'm going to attempt to finish it before the movie comes out - bearing in mind that I am quite a slow reader in comparison to others (takes me about 3 weeks to finish a book) and I have a massive amount of preliminary reading to do for my English Lit, American Lit & Creative Writing course at university, which I'll be starting on the 29th September!

Have any of you read this book? Without spoilers, what were your thoughts on the series? Let me know!

P.S - a quick reminder to everyone who reads this, you still have until midnight on this coming Monday (1st September - my 19th birthday woohoo!) to enter Lydia's giveaway. She's kindly giving out a free copy of her paranormal romance novel The Guardian and some other small freebies. All you need to do is drop me your email address via the Contact Form on the right hand side of this page, tell me that you're entering the "2014 The Guardian Giveaway" and you're entered!



Happy reading everyone!