Review: City of Bones by Cassandra Clare


City of Bones
City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


☆☆☆☆



I think that this is one of the best fantasy YA books I've read. It's almost as good as Harry Potter, honestly and that's something I would never say. It's not quite as good as Harry Potter, not by a long shot, but it's the closest thing I've read to an elaborate and enticing fantasy world. I wanted to live in the Shadowhunter world just like I still want to live at Hogwarts and go to Hogsmeade etc.

Cassandra Clare is a brilliant writer. This first book is so action packed, full of shocking twists and turns and has the perfect balance of romance that we all want when we read YA books. The kiss didn't come until waaaaaaaaay in to the book, which I was actually really happy about because the anticipation built up so much, that when Clary and Jace finally kissed each other, it was cathartic not only for them, but for me too.

The description in this book is great and it really allows you to create a vivid and elaborate picture of what's going on in the story, in your head. The characters are all different, with really well developed personalities and the storyline and plot work exceptionally well.

This is one of my favourite books and I am still in the process of reading the full series. I would recommend this book to anybody that loves paranormal, fantasy, YA and romance. Cassandra Clare throws every species of fantasy personalities in to this book and it all comes together to create this secret and alluring world that exists alongside the glittering city of New York. There are quirky characters like Magnus Bane who will both surpise you and make you laugh, there are complex characters like Jace who will make you laugh out loud whilst also leaving you with an array of mixed emotions and there are characters like Simon who you will fall in love with instantly.

There is a love triange in this book and it's a good one. Everything about this book is good actually. Especially the end, which you will both love and hate. So just read it!


✓✓✓

I don't want to repeat myself with this, but I've given City of Bones a four tick rating purely because everything is really intricately described, the character development is really well thought out and I think that Cassandra Clare has a way of writing that really captivates you as a reader. 


Reviewed by: Tanya Marie



View all my reviews