Review: Dark Heart Forever by Lee Monroe


Dark Heart Forever
Dark Heart Forever by Lee Monroe

My rating: 2 of 5 stars




This is one of the books that sat on my bookshelf for months before I finally decided to read it. It's based on a fifteen year old girl who is torn between two guys - Luca, the one who exists in her dreams and Evan, the one who exists in the real world.

Usually, I don't like the idea of having a main character being torn between two guys, especially when it's part of the main plot and my opinions of this didn't change when I read this book. In fact, if anything, they actually became more striking.

The two boys come to signify two very different worlds in the book. Luca turns out to be a wolf who lives in a world full of immortals (Nissilum). Unfortunately I wasn't particularly captivated by his world. Whereas Evan resides in the human world, but is pretending to be something he's not. This was a shocking twist to the book and one of two things that I actually liked about it.

I enjoyed the scene at the Celestial Palace in Luca's world - a ball was being held there and Jane was invited. This whole scene was very well orchestrated and the multitude of different immortals that attended was very refreshing and very well depicted. I enjoyed reading about the vampires Vanya and Milton who were coloured in an elegant and almost aristocratic light, which is exactly what I imagine vampires to be like. It was one of the best depictions of them I have seen and I would have liked to see more.

The premise of parents lying to their children throughout a book is somewhat overused, so when I found out that Jane's mum had been keeping a secret from her throughout the entirety of her life, I wasn't as shocked as perhaps I should have been. Similarly, I really didn't like that her secret was pretty much the same as Jane's. The only difference was that Jane's mum met an angel and Jane met a wolf.

I've given the book 2 out of 5 stars because I thought it was okay. It wasn't as enjoyable as I'd hoped and so I wouldn't continue the series.




I've given this a 2 tick rating because I feel that the writing is very simple. There is nothing to really grip you, apart from the writing in the scene I have mentioned above, which I thought was captivating. Other than that, I don't feel that any great effort was made with the writing. 


Reviewed by: Tanya Marie



View all my reviews