Review: The Fault in Our Stars


The Fault in Our Stars
The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

My rating: 4 of 5 stars





☆☆☆



This was one of the first non-paranormal books I read. It was recommended to me by a friend and I was a little reluctant to read it at first, because I usually dislike reading sad stories like this. But John Green has a way of writing that almost makes you forget the sad parts of the story.

Hazel for example, has this really quirky way of narrating that just makes you laugh as you read and I think it's really clever to tie humour in with a subject as sad and potentially depressing as cancer, because it distracted me from the fact that the characters are sick and made me laugh instead. Also, Hazel states from the beginning that this is not a cancer story and I think the humour in the novel is really one of the reasons why it's not.

When I met Augustus Waters, I was initially put off by his name. Love interests in young adult novels always have typically attractive names like Patch, Christian and Jace for example. But when I heard Augustus, I got the image of a really old man who like, fought in the war or something. Only, Augustus turned out to be the sweetest love interest I've ever met. He's so charismatic, he's a real gentlemen and he adores Hazel incredibly.

Obviously the twist in the book is so unexpected. I was so convinced that if anybody was going to die, then it would be Hazel - but it turns out that our strong willed, optimistic Augustus waters is really the one who 'bites it' in the end. The only reason I think it was so painstakingly sad was because John Green really made me connect with his characters. I love Augustus and I love Hazel and more than I love them separately, I love them together. So having to read about them being torn apart by cancer was just heart-wrenching.

Anyway, this is not one of those sad books that is too sad to read. It will make you cry for sure, but this should not deter you at all. It's a brilliant book, full of humour and wit and I really enjoyed it.



✓✓

I've given this a three tick rating because I think the book is well written, but nothing amazing. As I've said, Hazel is a very witty narrator and this makes the story interesting and somewhat light hearted to read. It also allows you to connect with her character. The novel also includes a ton of metaphorical references which are employed as part of Green's character development. For example, we know that Augustus likes to choose his behaviours based on their metaphorical resonances. E.G - "you put the killing thing right between your teeth, but you don't give it the power to do it's killing."




Reviewed by: Tanya Marie



View all my reviews