Review: The Great Gatsby


The Great Gatsby
The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

My rating: 5 of 5 stars





I absolutely loved this book and can say with confidence that it is my favourite book of all time. Fitzgerald captures a sparkling, magnificent and alluring world of glamour and money that as a reader, I immediately fell in love with. The materialism of the era is employed by Fitzgerald to form the basis for a romance that some will argue is superficial, but one that I will argue is timeless. Gatsby's love for Daisy is so intense that it touches your heart with every page and it's not even painted for us by the man himself. I can only imagine how much more heart wrenching the novel would've been had Fitzgerald used Gatsby's voice the whole way through. But the glimmers of his voice that we are given, are so sincere and drenched with infatuation that I couldn't help but sympathise with Gatsby the whole way through.

Fitzgerald has the special quality of not only writing with eloquence (possibly as a product of his time and personal background) but also writing in a way that forces you to align yourself with the novel's characters. I can feel Nick's adoration of Gatsby and I can feel that Gatsby is besotted with a girl who doesn't love him and now and probably never did. It made me hate Daisy incredible amounts and I still do - to the point where I'm referring to her as if she is a real person. Haha.

But there isn't one thing I dislike about this book. It's one of those books that I could honestly read over and over again and never get bored of.




I have also given this book a 5 tick rating. The reason for this is that Fitzgerald's writing is extremely well thought out. He gives us flashbacks, he switches voices as he tells us different parts of the story, he uses poetic prose which emphasises the detail in his description and each chapter flows very smoothly in to the next, creating a clear sense of direction for where he wants his story to go. 
His use of imagery is extremely significant. Symbolism is used well to remind us constantly of Gatsby's love for Daisy and he also thinks about using different characters and settings to help characterise his two main characters: Gatsby and Daisy. For example, we have the glittering white palaces of fashionable East Egg where Daisy lives and the less fashionable West Egg where Gatsby lives. We have Meyer Wolfsheim in constant contact with Gatsby to signify his bootlegging and we have the rich and well known Tom Buchanan married to Daisy to signify her expensive and glamorous background.


Reviewed by: Tanya Marie



View all my reviews