Review: The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini


The Kite Runner
The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

My rating: 1 of 5 stars





One star? ONE STAR?! How can you give The Kite Runner one star?! - this is probably what you're thinking right now, because if you've read this book or heard anything about it, then you will know that The Kite Runner has really great reviews.

But in terms of what my stars mean, remember that I have two different ratings. My personal rating and a rating based on the quality of the book. So I've given The Kite Runner one star because no, I honestly didn't like it. Why? It was too sad.

The Kite Runner tackles issues like rape, bullying, child abuse, infertility and death and these really aren't things that I want to read about. They were tackled brutally and ruthlessly in this novel and I genuinely found it really difficult to read about.

I'm not at all saying that writers should sugar coat topics as serious this. But what I am saying, is that when they are depicted with such vivid honesty, it really does make for an unnerving read.

I had little problem with the storyline itself. We watched Amir grow throughout the story and we were able to embark on a journey with him. The only thing I will say is that it moved a little bit slowly when we got to the parts where Amir is an adult. Similarly, the whole emotion of guilt was amplified on extreme scales. We felt Amir's guilt in almost every chapter of the novel and I don't think that it really needed to be emphasised to such an extent.

A good refrain within the story was the voice of Hassan saying "For you a thousand times over." This was one of the saddest parts of the story, particularly as it resonated throughout the whole novel.



Although I've given this novel one out of five stars, I am wholeheartedly giving it a 4 tick rating. The quality of writing is really really good and it was one of the main reasons I stuck it out until the end. We get streams of consciousness, cleverly inserted imagery (such as the pomegranates being a symbol of blood) and Amir's narration, although annoying at times, is really well written. I can't fault Hosseini on his writing style or on the plot of his novel, it was all really good. And it's worthy of 4 ticks.


Reviewed by: Tanya Marie



View all my reviews