Review: Noughts & Crosses by Malorie Blackman


Noughts & Crosses
Noughts & Crosses by Malorie Blackman

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


☆☆

The premise behind this book (a reversal of historical racial inequality in having black people rule and white people serve) is an original one that works really well.

Sephy and Callum's relationship is a literal struggle because they live in a world of segregation. Sephy is black (a cross) and Callum is white (a nought) which means they are forbidden to see each other; but despite this, they still do.

It's a really good book that follows the romance of two people who are literally risking their lives to be together. It's well written, captivating and an all round really good read.

This isn't one of my favourite books, but I still think it's great. I would recommend this to all teenagers who want to read something that tackles the issue of racial inequality by turning it on it's head. Not only this, if you like romance, read it. After all, Malorie Blackman has described it as a book of love.

I don't want to give anything away, so I won't say much more apart from that it's followed by three other books. I haven't gotten round to reading these yet, but I definitely will in the future.


✓✓

I've given this a 3 tick rating simply because I thought it was a well written book that was captivating and all round really good read. Malorie Blackman leaves us wanting to read on and that's what a good writer should be capable of doing. 


Reviewed by: Tanya Marie



View all my reviews