Review: Fancy Pants Poetry by Agostino Scafidi

Image of Fancy Pants Poetry




Hello everyone!

Today I'm reviewing another E-book by Agostino Scafidi - you can check out my last review of another one of his e-books over here! 'Fancy Pants Poetry' (quite an amusing title for a book haha) is an E-book of short poetry and it's actually the first book of poetry to ever be reviewed on my blog! Wahey! Taking me as little as an hour to read, the poems were dynamic, interesting, relevant and extremely well written.

Now if you have read my last review, then you'll know that I didn't quite enjoy Agostino's last E-book (Dreams, Fiction and Me) and I was very critical of it. However, I can say with complete honesty that I really enjoyed this one and I'm really glad that Agostino gave me the chance to review it. 

To give you all a flavour of Agostino's work, I'm going to go in to more detail about a few of the poems that I really enjoyed and tell you a little bit about why I thought they were so great.


Secrets

This poem had a really nice, mellow tone to it. I liked the way that the speaker opened by addressing the reader directly and the closing lines really stayed with me: 'Sometimes all people want is to be the stepper and you the stone.' Just think about it, do you agree?


What's The Hurry?

This poem addressed an issue that we all, at some time in our lives, find ourself facing. 'How to live'. Should we live the way that society expects us to? Do we follow what our parents tell us to do? What our friends say we would be good at? Or do we go out and discover the world the way we want to, in our own way? The speaker finds his own answer in the poem and it's not what you would expect.


Unexpected

I think that it was the onomatopoeia in this poem that really caught my attention and the use of quick, short nouns that were each attributed one line in the poem. It really captures the idea of spontaneity and unexpectedness. 


Forget

There was great imagery in this poem. The tide as a bearer of gifts, but also as a bringer of death, followed by the passing of time as a simmering after an apology. It was a simple poem, but it had a lot of meaning. 


Let's Be Irrational

The whole concept of this poem was interesting - let's be irrational. Agostino takes things from a new perspective, particularly when he speaks of honesty and how it is generally accepted as admirable. This poem has the Satanic quality of temptation in it and I thought that that gave it a really nice, original undertone.


How Far?

If I'm correct, the speaker directly addresses a past lover in this poem. Or at least someone that they were once close to. I liked the melancholic sense of loss in this piece - I thought it was captured really well.


Falling Upon Deaf Ears

The imagery, again, was what attracted me to this poem most. Words in the wind, swaying was definitely an image that caught my attention and the short stanzas really reflected the movement of the words. 


When Push Comes To Shove

This poem is all about taking risks and doing what you want - an enjoyable poem that I thought could actually work really well as a response to What's The Hurry?



Overall, I really enjoyed this E-book and I would 100% recommend it to anyone who is interested in poetry, but doesn't want to read anything long winded like Coleridge or Anne Bradstreet. It was a really great read, something I would take on holiday with me to relax with on the beach or just on a nice sunny day!


P.S - to any poets out there, I get a lot of novelists asking me to review their work, but I am also very willing to review poetry too! Any kind of writing that anyone does, I am happy to review here. So just leave me a message via the 'Contact Me' form on the right hand side of this page and I'll be in touch!