Review: Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen








Pride and Prejudice is one of those Jane Austen novels that has been universally acclaimed as brilliant and breathtaking and perhaps even a literary masterpiece. I have nothing against these views. In fact, I am more than willing to agree with them. It was brilliant and how can I deny that Mr. Darcy took my breath away? He is an absolute dream, isn't he? He''s the kind of love interst that one might argue characters like Edward Cullen and Jace Wayland are crafted in the image of. He's the guarded, attractive, intriguing gentlemen that you want to convince yourself you're not interested in, when really, he's all your interested in. And that is exactly the kind of romantic interest I love to read about.

Jane Austen is a great writer and after reading this, I have to say that the story has become one of my favourites. Aside from the characters of Lady Charlotte de Bourgh and Mrs. Bennet, I must say that I quite enjoyed reading about and getting to know all the rest.

The superficiality and materialistic desire that drives this novel was both fascinating and irritating at times. The women are primarily concerned with a man's income when deciding whether to marry them or not and as a girl who believes in women being independent and being able to provide for themselves, I cannot say that I looked upon this without judgement and constant frowning. But obviously, these women were products of the society that they were living in - they were conformists.

Despite the fact that the novel is around 40 chapters long, it wasn't boring to read. I found myself reading 6 or 7 chapters a day (which is waaaaaay above my average 1.2 wpm speed!) and it was very easy to follow and understand. I don't know about you but I love reading the "Classics" because they always inspire me to put on my eloquent reading voice and throw myself back a few centuries.

So, as you probably expected, I did really enjoy this novel and I would recommend it to others. I would also like to meet Mr. Darcy, but I can't ask for too much now can I?





Jane Austen's writing can't really be faulted. She strikes up a really good balance between speech and description and the tone of the writing kept it interesting throughout.