Review: Frankenstein by Mary Shelley






So we've all heard of Frankenstein - the guy we think we're dressing up as on Halloween when we're really dressing up as Frankenstein's monster and not Frankenstein himself? Yeah, that one. The common misconception, and perhaps the most irritating one, is when people decide to call Frankenstein's creation by the name Frankenstein. I mean you don't have to read the book but knowing that Victor Frankenstein is actually the guy who decided to dabble in this sort of weird, transgressive activity is one thing you should just know about Mary Shelley's novel if anything! 

I really enjoyed this book because it was one of few set texts (as in, my course requires me to read it), that I have actually wanted to keep reading. It's an epistolary novel which generally makes it more interesting than most and the version I read is split in to three different volumes with varying voices throughout. I thought it was really great that Shelley had the monster narrate his own tale during one part because it almost gave him a way of resisting that dehumanisation that Victor inflicted upon him throughout the whole book!

Now I'd heard a lot of good reviews about Frankenstein before I read it, but I have to say that it was actually nothing like I expected. I didn't expect it to be so short for one thing and I didn't expect Victor to be the kind of self-pitying character he is. He's so dramatic that you just reach a point while reading where you don't even feel sorry for him anymore! Not to mention all the times he contradicts himself during his tale either...

The novel is really well constructed and it's easy to tell that Shelley was one of those writers who really thought about how she was going to execute her work. It's packed with beautiful imagery, narrative shifts, twists, turns and it even has a kind of mystery-esque vibe to it. It was a really, really great read and I would 100% recommend it to everyone.