City of Bones: - From Hollywood Blockbuster (sort of) to ABC TV Series!

Hey Guys!

I'm really sorry because I know that it's been absolutely ages since I last posted anything new, but I've been really busy revising for my exams (they're in June) and getting my last seminars and lectures out of the way for my first year at uni that it's just been so difficult to find the time to write a new blog post. A few days ago I left Canterbury and came back to my actual home in London for a very late Easter break. I'm here for a couple of weeks and I'm using the time to take a break and get back to doing some of the things that I love. So luckily for you guys, that means a new blog post!

But today's post isn't going to be a review, because yesterday something super exciting and blog post worthy happened that I'm about to share with you here. So keep reading! 

It must have been sometime after midday. I was relaxing in my bedroom with the door open, TV on, games controller in hand, laptop open in front of me and the window open - with a beautiful view of the sprawling city, shimmering River Thames and a chalk blue cloudless sky. Then out of nowhere (she has a habit of doing this) my sister appeared out of thin air in my doorway.

"Bob," she began. "Did you know that Dominic Sherwood, the hot one that you absolutely love from the Vampire Academy movie, has been cast as Jace in the new Shadowhunters TV series?"


The Background Info

So now is probably the time to pause and fill you guys in - just incase you have absolutely no clue what I'm talking about. So for those of you who don't know, since the actual "The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones" movie was released in 2013 and didn't do so well in terms of box office sales, it's not going to be renewed for a second movie. It's got a 6/10 IMDB rating and Rotten Tomatoes gave it a very sour and shameful 12% review - which is 8% underneath even a 1 out of 5 star rating. Ouch. 

I personally didn't think the movie was that bad. I mean, they did change quite a few key things from the book, gave away loads of spoilers from the second and third books, didn't properly establish the Jace/Clary attraction and completely ruined the whole portal scene... But for about 55% of the movie, I'd say I was pretty impressed. Maybe that had something to do with the fact that both Jamie Campbell Bower and Robert Sheehan were cast as two of the lead characters in the movie... but.. you know... 

    

Anyway, because of the poor box office sales, all the fandom dreams of the TMI series spiralling in to a super successful movie series like Harry Potter or The Twilight Saga, is now completely over. We will never get to go and watch it in the cinema.

But it's not all bad news because as of March 2015, the ABC Family network (who are associated with a bunch of other awesome series like Once Upon a Time and Revenge) have officially picked it up and decided to re-vamp it in to a TV series called Shadowhunters. And ABC are a pretty good network, so I'm sure that we can trust them to do a killer job with the show. It's a win-win for everyone. We still get to see TMI on screen and ABC get to make money. Yay!


So back to my news...

The reason I was so excited about what my sister told me, is because Dominic Sherwood is an absolute babe. I first got to know him from watching the Vampire Academy movie (if you haven't seen it, it's available on Netflix UK and is worth watching!) where he landed the role of Christian Ozera. But if you guys haven't seen that movie, then you might know him from more recently as the gorgeous Hugo Boss looking model in Taylor Swift's Style video. You can watch that below:

 




Is Dominic Sherwood right for the role of Jace Wayland?

As excited as I am to see this beauty in an on-screen recurring role, I'm still a tiny bit dubious as to whether he's right for the role of Jace. One of the main things that Cassandra Clare emphasises about Jace Wayland in her TMI series, is his beautiful pale blonde hair and gorgeous golden eyes. Jamie Campbell Bower was, aesthetically, the perfect fit for Jace Wayland - he is absolutely everything I envisioned when I first read the books. Dominic Sherwood on the other hand, is dark haired with one blue eye and one brown eye. He's definitely not someone I would have picked for the role, but I think it will be interesting to see how ABC play this one!

In terms of character, Christian (VA) and Jace (TMI) are actually quite similar. I mean they're both a little bit sarcastic, mysterious, dark... I thought Dominic was great in the VA movie and if his acting is similar in the TV series, then I think he'll be able to capture Jace really well! All he needs to do is add a little bit more sass, nail Jace's humour and capture the kind of pained attraction that Jace has to Clary. If he does all of this (which I'm sure he will) then he'll be great and the series is sure to be a success! 

If you guys want regular updates on the show, then be sure to follow McG on Twitter, which you can do here. He's producing the show and tweets loads about it! You can also follow the official Shadowhunters series page here. The series should be coming early next year!

I can't wait to hear more casting news for the TV series. If you're part of the TMI fandom or just buzzing about seeing the series, then let me know your thoughts on Dominic Sherwood as Jace Wayland/Herondale and just your thoughts about casting for other roles and about the series in general, in the comments section below! I do always reply!

Additionally, I would really love you guys to connect with me on any social media sites that you use frequently. You can do this by clicking on any one of the buttons on the top left hand side of this page. So if you want to follow this blog on Bloglovin or send me a tweet, then please don't hesitate!


Thanks for reading!