Shadowhunters TV Series Casting Update!

So as promised, I'm back with a casting update for the ABC Shadowhunters series - which is planned for release early next year. After the recent news of Dominic Sherwood being cast as Jace, it was only a matter of time before the producers and network gave us more. As a fandom, we're being drip fed little bits of information every now and again about casting and production progress and it really is agonising! I don't know about you guys, but I can barely contain my excitement for the show and I NEED to know who the other cast members are going to be! Like now!

Luckily for me and everyone else that is interested, the Shadowhunters Twitter page tweeted yesterday that two new casting updates would be revealed today - and as promised they were!

Meet Isabelle Lightwood



Isabelle Lightwood is going to be played by Emeraude Toubia. Pretty much all I know about her at this point is that she's a Spanish actress with really nice hair and a beautiful face. She does look perfectly suited to the role of Isabelle and I'm really glad that they've cast someone who looks somewhat exotic. Overall I think she looks perfect!

Meet Simon Lewis






Simon Lewis is going to be played by Alberto Rosende. You might know him from the Blue Bloods series where he played the role of Carlos Santiago. He's got a great smile and a really cute face, but for me to properly decide whether I'm happy with him playing Simon, I need to know who will be playing Clary!


Casting is always a really important part of any adaptation of anything for me. When The Great Gatsby was being re-made in to a Hollywood Blockbuster in 2013 by Baz Luhrmann, and I found out that Carey Mulligan would be playing Daisy Buchanan, I was ecstatic. She had the natural beauty, the soft enchanting voice and I honestly couldn't have pictured a better Daisy myself. Same goes for Toby McGuire as Nick Carraway. But when I found out that Shailene Woodley and Ansel Elgort had been cast as Hazel Grace and Augustus Waters for the 2014 The Fault in Our Stars movie, I have to admit that I had a little bit (okay, a lot actually) of a "wait.. what the hell?!" moment. The two who played brother and sister in the popular young adult movie Divergent were now going to play die hard lovers in yet another young adult movie? It was all a bit weird at first, somewhat cinematically incestuous even. But it really did grow on me and sometimes, that's just what casting choices have to do!


*** UPDATE ***




Clary Fray has been cast! Katherine McNamara will play the lead role in the Shadowhunters TV series! You might know her from movies such as New Years Eve and Contest but if not, you'll have plenty of time to get to know her next year. I think she looks great and although I have my reservations about whether her and Dominic, aesthetically, are a match, I am still excited to see her bring Clary to life. Oh and I'll definitely be comparing her portrayal of Clary to that of Lily Collins in the TMI movie!