January: We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves





In the spirit of a new year, I have decided to set myself the challenge of reading 12 books - one a month. This month I am reading We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves by Karen Joy Fowler and I am loving it! I'm on part II, Chapter 5 and have just discovered something completely shocking that I had absolutely no inclination of. I'm not going to give away any spoilers, but so far it is definitely a book that I would recommend to others. It has an engaging writing style and it really has kept me interested throughout. I haven't been able to put it down for the past two weeks!



Also this month, as part of a university module in Victorian literature, I have been subjected to reading a Charles Dickens novel called Our Mutual Friend. I can't remember ever having read any Dickens novels before and I am currently finding his writing style terribly annoying. Which is a shame, because the general plot and subject matter does interest me. I just feel that he over-uses repetition to the extent where it becomes ineffective and he takes far too long to get to the point. There's a lot of what I like to call filler speech - as in, speech that is wedged into a novel to bulk it out, but isn't really doing much for the plot. Sorry Dickens, but I'm just not a fan at the moment.

I would, however, be interested in reading one of his shorter novels. This one is 700 pages long and currently giving me immense pain to read - I am on chapter 3 and already struggling to find the will to carry on! So if anybody has any recommendations for shorter novels, then I would greatly appreciate them.

Happy reading everyone!