New On My Bookshelf: November Edition

I've been absolutely terrible with blogging as of late, but I think that's to be expected considering I'm now in my final year of university and am taking a module on Dickens. Yes, I get about two weeks to read a 700-800 page Dickens novel and it - is - killing me.

I would absolutely love to be able to devote more time to reading and I think I'm really going to make a conscious effort to do just that. I've decided to start a monthly series called "New On My Bookshelf", where each month, I'll name two or three new titles that I've bought and have scheduled to read this month. Of course, I'll have reviews up of them as soon as I've finished reading them too!

This month, I've selected three titles that I've been absolutely dying to read. If you've read any of them, don't give any spoilers away but feel free to tell me whether you liked it or not. As always, thank you so much for reading and if you want me to have a look at your blog, then just leave a link down below. Finally, to any self-published authors reading this post, I would love to hear from you. Some of my favourite blog posts are the ones I've done in collaboration with self-published authors, so if you have any crime, thriller, young adult or romance novels you've written and would like to be reviewed on my blog, then just email me and we can discuss it further. You can find more details of this on my Review Requests page.



The Couple Next Door, by Shari Lapena



I am absolutely obsessed with any and all crime/thriller books at the moment, so when my housemate told me about this book a couple of weeks ago, I knew I had to get my hands on it. Unfortunately, the paperback copy is not being released until May 2017, but it's out on hardback in Waterstones and online at the minute for £12.99! 

Blurb

Anne and Marco Conti seem to have it all—a loving relationship, a wonderful home, and their beautiful baby, Cora, but one night when they are at a dinner party next door, a terrible crime is committed. Suspicion immediately focuses on the parents, but the truth is a much more complicated story.

Inside the curtained house, an unsettling account of what actually happened unfolds. Detective Rasbach knows that the panicked couple is hiding something. Both Anne and Marco soon discover that the other is keeping secrets, secrets they've kept for years. 

What follows is the nerve-racking unraveling of a family, a chilling tale of deception, duplicity, and unfaithfulness that will keep you breathless until the final shocking twist.


Truly, Madly, Guilty by Liane Moriarty


I was drawn to this novel because it has a similar storyline to The Couple Next Door. Happy family go to a party and things go wrong. I guess I'm just really into dysfunctional families and relationships at the moment!

Blurb

Six responsible adults. Three cute kids. One small dog. It’s just a normal weekend. What could possibly go wrong?

Sam and Clementine have a wonderful, albeit, busy life: they have two little girls, Sam has just started a new dream job, and Clementine, a cellist, is busy preparing for the audition of a lifetime. If there’s anything they can count on, it’s each other.

Clementine and Erika are each other’s oldest friends. A single look between them can convey an entire conversation. But theirs is a complicated relationship, so when Erika mentions a last minute invitation to a barbecue with her neighbors, Tiffany and Vid, Clementine and Sam don’t hesitate. Having Tiffany and Vid’s larger than life personalities there will be a welcome respite.

Two months later, it won’t stop raining, and Clementine and Sam can’t stop asking themselves the question: What if we hadn’t gone?