Get Graduated!



On Monday 10th July, I graduated from university. After so many years of studying, to get into sixth form and then into university, all of my hard work paid off and I managed to get myself a degree. You only realise what a huge moment it is when you're walking towards the podium, waiting to hear your name called out by the Dean. It was the end of an era - one that I've enjoyed immensely. I won't bore you with the details of how sad I am to see my student life come to an end or how many life long friendships I've formed since starting or all of the lessons I have learnt throughout my three years at the University of Kent. Don't worry, I know what to save for my diary and what to publish on here instead! This post is mainly just to present my outfit, I'm not even going to lie. I don't usually write fashion posts, but I really loved my outfit and I wanted to share it with you - and keep a post out there for me to look back on one day!




My dress was £50 from Lipsy, the shoes were £19 in the Kurt Geiger sale and I adore them. They are gold and glittery and were so comfortable to walk in because of the block heel. The only problem was with the strap around the ankle, which was actually so rough that it ended up cutting my ankle so that by the end of the day, I was bleeding! My bag was £18 from Dorothy Perkins. I accessorised with ear jackets from Accessorize which were £6 and a gold leaf (I love a bit of leaf jewellery!) headband which was £8!



I arrived at the cathedral an hour and a half before the ceremony, which actually helped me to avoid queues as everybody else had followed the instructions on the university website and got there two hours early instead. I went upstairs to collect my cap and gown, while my mum and sister collected their tickets with the email confirmation on my phone. If anybody needs to be in the venue early then it is definitely your guests, as good seating is very limited and there was no seat allocation like there was at my sister's graduation. The ceremony itself is actually pretty long and boring, but thankfully I have a surname that begins with S, so instead of listening to everybody else's name and feeling bored, I actually felt the anticipation and excitement rising instead! Following the graduates collecting their certificates, there were a couple of boring and mandatory speeches and then another set of graduates before we were allowed to leave. 




Outfit wise, the cap and gown were both problematic. It was so hot having to walk around in the gown and I was very worried about the hat squishing my hairstyle. It did also fly off in the wind at one point! You might have the option to purchase photos from your day and I made sure I did! Mine was £15 for one copy 



Make-up wise! I used the NARS tinted moisturiser in the colour Seychelles for my base, followed by the Rimmel Stay Matte powder in transparent to control my oily t-zone. I used the Seventeen shimmer brick for highlighter and a MAC studio fix powder that is about ten years old and the wrong shade for me as a contour.

On my eyes I used the MAC painterly paint pot in 'Let Me Pop' as a base for the gold pigment in the shade 'Copper Sparkle'. On the outer corner I went in with a warm brown shade from the Estee Lauder Christmas 2016 palette, I can't remember the name now! I then applied a thin line of black eyeliner and then put on some Eylure lashes in the style 'Flower Girl'. Brows were done using the Maybelline brow drama gel and the Benefit Goof Proof eye pencil.

On my lips I wore a combination of the Charlotte Tilbury lip liner in the shade 'Foxy Brown' and the Revlon Colourstay lipstick in the shade 'Mink'.   





For my hair, I just made up a hairstyle as I always do! I did a side part and twisted the two front sections before pinning them back out of the way. I then took a thin layer of my hair at the top and clipped it up while I curled the bottom into tight-ish curls. Then I hairsprayed the top half and formed it into a slightly raised quiff sort of thing before twisting it at the back and pinning it into place. I then curled the bits of hair coming out of the pin so that they blended in with the rest of my curls and I was done!


Overall my top tips for the day would be to wear something you feel comfortable in, nothing too over the top and nothing that looks like you're about to go on a night out - there is a difference! Get there with enough time to not be waiting around, but also enough time to get everything done without being stressed. Book a nice restaurant and enjoy your meal there! I went to La Trappiste and the food was a disgusting, sloppy, flavourless mess - so if anyone was thinking of making a booking there I would not recommend. And finally, be nice to your family even though they will annoy you with their constant gushing and photo taking and have a lovely day. You only get to graduate like this once!